Support Irvine’s Open Space Preserve – Get an Access Permit
Irvine’s Open Space Preserve is a beautiful, scenic and secluded area perfect for recreational activities such as mountain biking, horseback riding, and hiking.
You must submit an application for an Access Permit prior to your visit if your visit includes any of the following:
- Large groups (over 50 people)
- Business activities, like professional photo shoots and boot camps
- Scientific monitoring
Applications must be approved at least 30 days in advance of your visit.
Steps to Apply for an Access Permit
- Download and fill out the necessary forms depending on your visit type (Large group, Commercial activities, Restricted trails, Science or Research)
- Pay the deposit & fee (Fee Schedule)
- Provide proof of general liability insurance
- Submit all by either:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: City of Irvine, Attn: Facility Reservations, P.O. Box 19575, Irvine, CA 92623-9575
- In person: to Community Services staff located on the 2nd floor of the Irvine Civic Center at 1 Civic Center Plaza, Irvine, CA 92606
Application form(s) by visit type
ACTIVITIES ON RESTRICTED TRAILS
Groups of any size planning a special event such as a private interpretive hike or equestrian outing on the trails restricted to docent-only activity. Note: activities that take place within the sensitive habitat areas of the Irvine Open Space Preserve must be docent-led. Permits will be subject to availability of City of Irvine/Irvine Ranch Conservancy staff, and will not supplant planned free public activities such as wilderness access days or classes.
Note: Please email Dr. Jutta Burger at the Irvine Ranch Conservancy for more information on research methods (including seed collection and animal handling) or for clarification regarding the Application.
- Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks Research Application (approved by Irvine Ranch Conservancy)
- Irvine Open Space Preserve Access Application
- Deposit and Fees
- General Liability Insurance, with endorsement naming City of Irvine and/or Irvine Ranch Conservancy as additional insured
Open Spaces Access Permit FAQ
Q: When are the Open Space Preserve visiting hours?
A: Open Space Preserve visiting hours are from 7:00 a.m. to Sunset, Daily Access trails are open for self-guided access. All other trails may only be accessed through scheduled docent-led programs due to sensitive habitat.
Q: Why do I need to pay a deposit/fee?
A: A: The deposit is to insure any damage that may occur from your visit. If it is determined that the area was left in the same condition, the deposit will be refunded to you approximately four weeks following the event. All fees go toward preserving and maintaining the Open Space area.
Q: How do I know which fee applies to me?
A: Check out the map to see which area you’re interested in visiting and use this sheet to identify the fee for your type of visit.
Q: My activity runs for multiple days. Does this apply with the Access Permit?
A: If your activity is longer than 1 day, you will need to fill out and submit an Access Notification document along with your Access Permit application.