County of Orange Household Hazardous Waste Center
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is any type of household product that you would like to discard and is labeled with any of the following words:
HHW must be handled and disposed of with care in order to avoid polluting the environment and possible health hazards.
List of Products that Qualify as HHW
The following items are considered household hazardous waste:
• Automotive Fluids
• Auto polish & wax
• Batteries (auto & household)
• Cleaning Solution
• Compact Fluorescent Light-bulbs (CFLs)
• Cosmetics (nail polish & remover)
• Fire Extinguishers
• Furniture polish & wax
• Mercury Thermometers
• Motor Oil
• Oil filters
• Pool Supplies
*Please keep in mind that it is illegal to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHW per trip (Department of Transporation requirement).
Click on the icons below for more specific information about these items.
*Please note that medications and pharmaceuticals cannot be taken to the County of Orange’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers. Instead, leftover or unused medication should be disposed of in the trash. Here are the disposal instructions:
1. Crush unused medication
2. Mix with undesirable material (i.e. coffee grounds, dirt, kitty litter, etc.)
3. Put it into the trash in a securely sealed container so children and animals cannot get to them